Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Zucchini Corn Pancakes

This is NOT a potato latke, though it looks like one enough to make my girls willing to try it.
And once they did, they both demanded more and ate them for supper tonight!

This started as a recipe I found in the free magazine I get from the fabulous supermarket chain Wegmans. And if you live within range of a Wegman's it's worth shopping there. I make a weekly pilgrimage to the branch that is about a half hour from my house because the produce is excellent, the bagels decent, and the prices great on everything except meats and the fancy prepared foods.
And my girls love their cafe, which features Chinese food, prepared food bars, subs and a lot more. When we go up to visit our friends in upstate New York, we usually stop for lunch in the Binghamton, NY Wegmans. And the ones in our area are a frequent lunch stop for the Man and the girls when they're out and about on weekends!

This recipe is available as a prepared food at the store. But in the magazine they also gave the recipe for making it at home. I tweaked it a bit to reduce the fat content, and I also used the absolute minimum of oil. They're still a little higher in Weight Watchers points then I'd like, but two of them made me a filling dinner and didn't break the points budget--I still have enough left for dessert!
The zucchini I used was one of the first harvested from my garden this year. The corn wasn't ours, but was leftover corn from the farmer's market. Use frozen corn if you don't have fresh--it's far better than canned!
The only thing this meal needed to make it perfect was homegrown tomatoes.  When we have those, I'll be making this again.
Zucchini/Corn "Latkes"
(makes 12 latkes. 2 is a serving)
2-3 medium zucchini
2 cups corn kernels
1 chopped onion (or 2 chopped green onions)
1 1/2 cups reduced fat baking mix
4 egg whites (I use the powdered kind. If you're okay with the fat use 3 eggs)
1 tsp dry oregano or 2 Tbsp fresh
Peel the zucchini, split them in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut them in half again and shred them coarsely with a grater. You should have 5 cups of grated zucchini.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and add a small amount of oil--just enough to coat the bottom. Heat until a drop of water sizzles.

Measure out 1/2 cup of the batter and drop it into the skillet. Smooth it out into a pancake.
If you have room, add more, if not cook them one at a time--don't crowd them.
Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
(Tilt the pan to move the oil around if needed. Add more oil as needed for more batches, but you can do this with just a spoonful or two of oil.)
Drain the pancakes on a paper towel covered plate and serve. These taste good on their own. But if you come up with a good sauce, let me know!

No comments: