Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sarah Palin & Tiger Woods: When Relatives Are "Fair Game"

Want to be a public figure with a private life?

It CAN be done. There are Hollywood, political and sport couples who keep their private lives private.

They don't live in Hollywood or other spots besieged by reporters.

They don't sell their children's photos to People or other magazines, even if they DO give the money to charity.

They don't do commercials, with or without their families.
They stay out of the limelight. They don't give a lot of interviews. They keep their private lives private and separate from what they do in the movies, or on the playing field.
They go out and do their jobs. And then they go home. Tiger Woods quivers with rage over people poking their nose into his private life, into "stalking" his family.
Sarah Palin bristles first at David Letterman telling a joke she ASSUMED was about her younger daughter, and now at "Family Guy" for a character with Downs Syndrome saying "my mother was the governor of Alaska".
Tiger Woods lost the right to privacy the day he started marketing himself as a clean cut family man instead of merely as a golfer. His ads for various brands pushed that image right along with his golf game.
As for Sarah Palin, rather than my saying anything,let me quote someone far more eloquent. Andrea Fay Friedman is the voice of "Ellen" on Family Guy (and for the record, I personally HATE that show). She is 39 years old and has Downs Syndrome:

"In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."
If Tiger Woods wants to play golf for the rest of his life, he can go for it. I didn't want to hear about his private life then and I don't now.
I just don't want to see him on TV, selling ANYTHING. Except perhaps condoms.
As for Sarah Palin, she ought to call Andrea Fay Friedman's parents and ask them to advise her how to bring up poor little Trig to be as fine a human being as their daughter.
But don't hold your breath waiting for that.......................

No comments: