Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I'm A "Breeder"

People are using this term today in the NY Times in an article about tax breaks people with kids can take. Their whine is "why do those breeders get a break--I have to pay for their schools and I don't have kids!" I have memories of an ad campaign in the past decade featuring adorable kids and a slogan to the tune of "This is Jane. In 20 years, she will be your heart surgeon". Think about that one for a minute. We "breeders" are raising, as the Malvina Reynolds song goes "doctors, and lawyers, and business executives". And teachers. And scientists. And musicians. And inventors. And gardeners. And every other profession and calling that exists. Probably even a few librarians. Tongue out Our kids are the future of us all. We "breeders" do the work and the rest of you reap the benefits in the long run. When you pay taxes that go for schools, you are helping to pay for a better future. And those tax breaks? Those incredible tax breaks we "breeders" get? Mine amounts to about $400 bucks this year. And for the first time in my life, we are going to OWE taxes.Yup, being a "breeder" really gives us a big financial advantage! It doesn't matter though. Because for all the ups and downs of raising kids, the gift of having my daughters in my life is more valuable than anything I could buy with a tax refund, no matter how large.

No comments: