Thursday, April 08, 2010

Dear Governor McDonnell

I am a Virginian too.
Not a native born--I admit to having spent the first quarter of the century well north of the Mason Dixon line. Part of my heart I will always belong to New York. But it is getting to the point where I have lived in this state longer than I lived there, and the bulk of my adult life has been here. My kids were born here. My life is here.
I love this state, Governor. It has a rich proud history. It's the birthplace of people like Washington and Jefferson and Madison. It's a state with great natural beauty. Over the past 20 years I have lived here Virginia has become more and more diverse in its population, rich in its blend of cultures.
And you have made people who have never visited here think that we are a state full of nothing but redneck good old boys like you and your cronies. You have embarassed all of us who live here. And if there was a campaign for NoVa to secede from the state, I'd be sending them a contribution right now.
This is the 21st century, Governor. The war was 150 years ago.
And the South LOST.
Even Robert E Lee got it:
We have fought this fight as long, and as well as we know how. We have been defeated. For us as a Christian people, there is now but one course to pursue. We must accept the situation.
Lee accepted it. Why can't you and yours, Governor?
Then again, you haven't accepted Obama is our president either, have you?
Disgustedly yours,

No comments: