Wednesday, May 05, 2010

A Prize For Pete

 I have written several times about what Pete Seeger and his music mean to me. He is the voice of my childhood, the companion of teen and adult years, the storyteller and singer whose work I have shared with children for over 20 years as a libra

 I have written several times about what Pete Seeger and his music mean to me. He is the voice of my childhood, the companion of teen and adult years, the storyteller and singer whose work I have shared with children for over 20 years as a librarian.

 Pete is 91 this week, and though, as they'd say in my neighborhood, that's "91, till 120, kayn ahora", he won't be with us forever in body. His music and his legacy will go on for generations to come.

That legacy is as a musician bringing music old and new to delight people of all ages.

With that music he has brought the message, as his song so aptly put it, of "the hammer of justice"

Of "the bell of freedom".

And above all "the song of love between my brothers and my sisters, all over this land".

The Nobel Prize for Peace is not awarded posthumously. And the effort to nominate Pete for that prize has gone on for several years.

Please click on the link and sign the petition. And I"ll leave you with Pete singing that song--"If I Had A Hammer"





No comments: