Monday, May 17, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

SC was kvetching about the gray weather this morning, and I assured her I'd be sure and raise her objections with Mother Nature. SC's response?  "Complain like Grandma, Mom!"I knew just what she meant.My mother is an indomitabl

SC was kvetching about the gray weather this morning, and I assured her I'd be sure and raise her objections with Mother Nature. SC's response?  "Complain like Grandma, Mom!"

I knew just what she meant.My mother is an indomitable consumer, who brings thing back to the store,writes letters, makes phone calls, contacts public officials and generally raises hell when she or hers don't get what they should.

I swear that all over the metro New York area there are businesses that have an unwritten policy: "If Mrs S complains, give her what she wants!"

Her consumer energies have served her well over the past 2 decades as a fierce advocate for my dad with doctors, nurses and any other health care workers she's dealt with.

But she also writes notes of praise. And people who help her get home baked brownies.

She is exasperating, fiercely loving of her husband of 50 years come June 30 and of her family. She doesn't get SC, but she adores her. JR looks a lot like her and she IS a lot like her, which sometimes is endearing and sometimes nerve wracking.  Wink 

She's my mom. She makes me smile and she drives me nuts.
Today is her 78th birthday. And I love her, love her, love her...........

No comments: