Monday, July 19, 2010

Dear Kaiser Permanente:

I love your care overall. I've had good care for everything from asthma to obstetrics. I love your advice nurses who I can call 24/7, who end calls saying "if you need us, call us back".So why don't you have dental care?I have two o

I love your care overall. I've had good care for everything from asthma to obstetrics. I love your advice nurses who I can call 24/7, who end calls saying "if you need us, call us back".

So why don't you have dental care?

I have two of the finest dentists in Virginia. The care they give is exemplary. Their offices are high tech and luxurious. Their staff is kind and helpful.

But not one cent of it is covered by any insurance I can get.

Four thousand dollars for two new crowns to replace 20 something year old ones. (And another two thousand for the one I had to have done earlier this spring).

And now today, another three thousand worth of Visa charges for the double root canals for the two teeth getting the new crowns.

That's SEVEN THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS, Kaiser.
Seven months or so of mortgage payments. Quite a number of our paychecks. The Man and I are humble public servants, you know!

Right now I am seriously contemplating taking out a home equity loan to cover the massive credit card debt we've acquired mainly through paying these bills. The rate is excellent and we'd get a better credit on our taxes--this year we actually OWED money (!)

And we need to get our bills in order.Because JR needs braces.

Thank you for at least letting me pay just $20 for the Tylenol II and antibiotics the dentist proscribed.
But truthfully, the fiscal pain is far worse than the toothache or even the actual root canal.

Sincerely yours,

The Library Lady

No comments: