Friday, July 16, 2010

Dear Parents Who Come to the Book Sale

As I've said before, it amazes me that you parents who spend so much time striving to feed your kids the best of the best food are willing to feed their growing minds the worst of the worst books. Especially when the best of the best is on my she

As I've said before, it amazes me that you parents who spend so much time striving to feed your kids the best of the best food are willing to feed their growing minds the worst of the worst books. Especially when the best of the best is on my shelf, available to borrow for FREE!

Let me tell you a little truth of life.

Your child's teacher won't give a damn if your child has a full set of "Dora the Explorer" books, or "Bakugon" or "Disney Princesses".

On the other hand, if they've been exposed to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "Where the Wild Things Are"--the real Sendak book--or the poems of A.A. Milne, or classic fairy tale tellings by Paul Galdone, it will have an impact on their development that will shine in that classroom.

My job is to give your kids the best of the best. That's why I'm a librarian with a goddamn Master's degree and 25 years experience selecting kids books, not some twit at Barnes and Noble who only knows the flavor of the month and the best sellers list.

So go ahead and buy that junk off my book sale truck.It's fine to have in your home. Lord knows SC and JR had plenty of that stuff too.

But don't expect me to waste your taxpayer dollars on it for the library.
And some time, just for a few minutes, consider looking at those books on my shelves when you come in for the book sale.

You just might see what I'm talking about.

Sincerely,
The Library Lady
Published: Sat, 07/17/10

No comments: