Sunday, August 08, 2010

No One Listens To Me. And I'm Their Mom...

Thirteen years ago when my brother got married, I was talked into being a bridesmaid. I felt kind of silly because I was a 30-something matron with a little girl, but I agreed to do it.

I worried though about SC, who was 2 at the time. I was sure she'd go ballistic when I came down the aisle and she couldn't be with me. Everyone told me, "oh, don't be silly, she'll be fine".

Sure enough, she pitched a fit at the wedding. Luckily, it was an outdoor wedding and the Man was able to take her off elsewhere.

Flash forward 13 years to today, when we took SC and JR to stay with my parents at that same brother's country house for a week.

JR gets homesick easily. And she's just been sick with the damned hives. So I asked SC to sleep in the same room as her--there are bunk beds.

SC balked. And when we got there, my dad talked JR into letting SC sleep in another room--he was concerned about my mom having to make up the bunk bed--though the Man was the one who made the beds in the end.

First, around 10, I got a call from JR, in floods of tears, already homesick. SC had to spend a long period of time with her anyway, convincing her to sleep.

And 20 minutes ago, I got a call from SC and my mom because the elderly bed she was to sleep in had been moved since we were last there (apparently so my three year old niece could have a wall on one side and gates on the other) and moving the bed had damaged it. Not noticeable when KE slept on it--she can't weigh more than 30 pounds--but SC weighs about 5 times that. And the bed collapsed.

So now SC is having to throw a sheet on the top bunk and sleep there anyway. And the Man and I could have made up the top bunk, she could have slept there, and JR would have gone to sleep earlier and happier.

Why the hell doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

3 comments:

de said...

I don't think anything is going to change soon, but I've been exactly where you're coming from.

Saints and Spinners said...

The answer: because you're the mom, and it doesn't matter that you've been right EVERY OTHER TIME. This time might be different, eh? I tell my family, "I don't want to be proven right-- I just want you to do what you're supposed to do the first time."

The Library Lady said...

It makes people burst into laughter whenever I say it, but compared with the rest of my family I am the sweet reasonable one. The rest of them are stubborn as mules and won't compromise. Sigh....