Thursday, September 09, 2010

Speak For the Muslims

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.....

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.........

Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.

                                               Pastor Martin Niemoller



It struck me a few weeks ago that this is a great time to be a Jew in the United States.

For generations Jews in this country have feared anti-Semitism . I have heard the talk from my mother and countless others that it is our duty as American Jews to support  Israel as the true Jewish homeland, the one place where Jews could be safe from anti-Semitism.

Well now another group is receiving open hatred and prejudice in this country.

 Hey folks at the synagogues today on Rosh Hashonah, there's a new scapegoat in town and it's even PATRIOTIC to participate in the hatred!

It's fine to deny these folks a place to worship, even if it's in an abandoned store building blocks from "Ground Zero".


It's fine to burn a holy book in the same way that the Nazis burned the sacred Torahs of the Jews of Europe

I'll repeat a quote I posted several years ago. A quote from the Q'uran  that every Jew should read today, at the start of the High Holy Days.

And shame on any who can read this and not realize it is nothing less than a MORAL OBLIGATION to speak for the Muslims, if they truly believe in those words--"never again!"

The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - the one which  We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn to Him."

 
L'shanah tovah-- a good New Year to all of you.

And shalom alechim/salaam aleikum.

Peace be with you.................

2 comments:

alia shields said...

This was basically the Rabbi's sermon at the Rosh Hashana service I went to yesterday. I am glad to have found a sane place to go for the holidays.

MrsEdwardsBlogs said...

From your mouth (pen) to everyone's ears (eyes)