Friday, October 15, 2010

Storytime Themes of the Week:"Boo!" & "Apples and Bananas"

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and try to show what I do weekly at story hour.
This week's picks for the 2 and up set had the theme of "Boo!", as in "Peek-a-Boo!" "Boo-Hoo" and "Boo!"








"Never Say Boo" has incredible sewn fabric illustrations--beautiful, but also big, clear & with tons of child appeal.
Lots of space for audience participation as the kitten mistakes various farm animals for a goose. And they might spot the ladybug who appears in every picture.






More animal noises in"Boo Hoo  Baby" as Cat,Duck, Dog &Cow try to make unhappy Baby happy. Each time there are prompts for what each animal says and a chance before turning the page to see if Baby is happy. Exaggerating  Baby's "boo-hoos" makes the kids giggle, and there's room for discussion about how babies cry to be fed, played with, etc because they can't talk!


Judy Hindley's text doesn't rhyme, but it has a swing that works well when it's read aloud and the bright illustrations of farm animals and round faced kids in a style reminiscent of Helen Oxenbury--and if you don't know her books, find them.

The book ends with a prompt for the kids to play peek-a-book themselves, and I followed it with a peek-a-boo song that I sing with the Mother Goose set. The twos and threes liked it just as much:

Someone is hiding, hiding, hiding. Someone is hiding, who can it be?
Peek-a-boo! I see you!  Peek-a-boo, I see you. 
Someone is hiding, hiding, hiding. Someone is hiding, who can it be? 
Peek-a-boo--I see YOU!
And since I can't find a recording of this anywhere, so here's a podcast of me singing it:



I have a lovely group of 3-5 year olds right now--even if the little boy AND the little girl with the most helpless mommies in Northern Virginia are coming, I can deal with them, and the rest are darlings.
This week I did a "fruit" theme with them, and "What Am I: Looking At Shapes Through Apples and Grapes" was, as usual, a hit. They love looking through the cut out shapes at different colored objects and trying to guess from the color and the riddle, what each was. My little girl monster (she's a tiny tyrant to her mom) even guessed correctly that the green shape was an avocado!


Often I read a story and despite loving the pictures realize that I can tell it with puppets and or objects instead. In this book, Beatrice sets off with a bunch of bananas for her grandpa, only to lose it to a giraffe who replaces it with flowers. Then bees take the flowers and give her honey. And then...well, you can see how it goes, ending with an elephants giving her--what else?-- a bunch of bananas. 
This one was just made to be dramatized and I did. I only wish that I'd thought of it days before the program instead of just hours before I was going to do the program. Then I'd have been able to retrieve the plastic bananas JR keeps for Fred the sock monkey, instead of having to improvise with some cardboard ones. Still the kids liked it--they love my puppets.

I do a craft or show a film to the "big kids" and this time we made applesauce. Not only the kids, but their moms were amazed at how easy it was to make Grandma Esther's Pink Applesauce. Doesn't anyone but me make it from scratch anymore?
The only difference from how I do it at home being that there's no stove at work, so I brought out the microwave from our library kitchen and cooked the apples in that. Everyone took turns milling the apples--I had a 7 or 8 year old alumni of story hour there (he'd been watching from outside the story room) and I got him to show the younger ones how to do it. And everyone got a little 1/2 cup plastic container of apple sauce to take home. I hope that they'll try doing it themselves sometime!

Next week's theme?

Pumpkins!

1 comment:

MrsEdwardsBlogs said...

I cook fresh applesauce. My ricer, though, is funnel-shaped and over 50 years old!