Monday, November 15, 2010

Let ALL The Tax Cuts Expire

Last year, for the first time ever, I OWED on my taxes.

I can deal with paying taxes. I often think of Oliver Wendell Holmes, the sort of Supreme Court Justice we USED to have, saying "“I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization."

I can even deal with the fact that my taxes often go to things I oppose, such as the Middle Eastern wars, and perks for the Congress. After all, my taxes also go to things like Medicare, which benefits my parents, the National Parks that I love, Headstart and WIC.

What I cannot deal with is the fact that people in the top tax bracket would have been taxed at least 3 times as much even back in the days of Ronald "Cut Government" Reagan.

And what really makes me want to hurl is knowing that a company like Exxon paid NO taxes whatsover in 2009, but made 35 BILLION in profits.

Let the tax cuts die. All of them. Mine included.

And then let Mitch McConnell, John Boehner et nausea go out there and tell the American people why folks like Paris Hilton deserve a tax cut in a time when people are losing their homes and we've got kids going to bed hungry at night in this country.

No comments: