Thursday, November 04, 2010

Very Foxy

I do lots of fox books in November--there are so many terrific stories that fox tends to get 2 programs, especially since there are several books that involve foxes AND turkeys.

One of my favorite stories to do has always been "Mr Bun", as originally told by Heather Forrest--it's on her album "Sing Me A Story" and you can hear a sample of it HERE.  Years ago, we turned it into a puppet show and our talented assistant made us a bun puppet.

The story is basically a Russian version of "The Gingerbread Boy" and it ends with, you guessed it, a fox. But instead of using a fox puppet, our assistant made me a wonderful furry mask--complete with ears, nose, etc, and I put it on at the end of the show. It's been wonderful for doing this story as a storytelling with puppets thing for many years.

And now it's disappeared. Can't find it anywhere in my storage. And I couldn't make another one.
Or could I?

Not one like Jason made me. But back then, I didn't have the Internet and now I do.
Thanks to a pattern on a wonderful English site called Activity Village I found a "Fabulous Mr Fox" pattern.
I printed it and cut it out then, decided I could use it as the basis of a foam mask--like the ones I made this summer for various programs. Not sure I showed those on the blog, come to think of it.



This is their finished product.







And this is mine, though I haven't added the whiskers yet.
Not sure that I want to.

If you want to see more details, I've added a slideshow of the mask being made below.

But pretty good for someone who can't draw, hmm?


Even if I never find the other mask, I'm set for November!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT

culturalcalories said...

These fox masks are fantastic! I will have to try them.

The Library Lady said...

Of course, the Man, talented artist that he is, looked at the photo I showed him of my work and said "Aren't fox muzzles supposed to be sharper and more point?"
Argh......