Tuesday, May 03, 2011

What HE Said

I ranted here and in the NY Times yesterday at Motherlode, where I was relieved to find that rather than getting flamed for my comment, I had the top "recommended" comment.

But someone else said it even better and someone quoted it in their comment. So here are the words of Dr Martin Luther King Jr:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

3 comments:

De said...

Getting chills, reading the posts. It's good to know that people whose views I share exist, but boy, I wish we were a more active group.

Anonymous said...

Actually, King didn't say the first part..."I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy."

Turns out those were the words of Jessica Dovey, "a 24-year old Penn State graduate who now teaches English to middle schoolers in Kobe, Japan," McArdle reports. In a Facebook status update, Dovey's adage was followed by an authentic King quote: "Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

At some point along the line, however, the quotation marks were altered to encompass Dovey's entire passage

The Library Lady said...

OK, "What THEY Said", then.

No matter how many people said it, it says it for me. Seeing footage of twenty somethings whooping it up in Uncle Sam hats sickened me then and still does 3 days later. That's not what 9-11 was about. That's not what this country is about.