Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Good Father

It was past 8PM and I was waiting in a short line to pick up a prescription refill I'd called in several days before. Saturday night and the big waiting room at the Kaiser pharmacy was quiet.

Until I started hearing the "bumps" and the giggles of a toddler in an area just behind a partition.

The guy in front of me started to twitch in annoyance. He was a beefy guy, with close cropped hair and a Pittsburgh Steelers football journey.

"This is just too noisy," he declared as the toddlerama continued.

I thought it was kind of cranky of him, but I also couldn't help mentally agreeing with him. It really wasn't bugging me in itself, but I am endlessly annoyed by the way small children are often allowed to act in public places. I see it all the time at the library where this week I've had at least 3 incidents with kids SCREAMING at the tops of their lungs or crying for long periods, and parents just subjecting the rest of us to it.

But then: "Michael, bring him here!" commanded Mr Steeler himself. And an 8 or 9 year old boy came around the corner with a blond toddler boy.

"I'll take him,"said Mr Steeler and hoisted the toddler up on his shoulder.
"You can't do that here,"he told him . There are sick people here. They don't want to hear the noise you're making."

Thank you, Mr Steeler.
Thank you to all the moms and dads who DO get it--that cute as their kids are, they're not OURS.
That there are times for noise--but other times when even a toddler needs to be quiet.

Thanks, Mr Steeler. And feel better soon.....

No comments: