Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

I was writing a pity party post to end this horrid year of 2011 and then I went to cover the reference desk and finished "The Ogre of Oglefort", the late great Eva Ibbotson's last book.

And there, as if a message to me were the last words, the last words of the last book I will read this year:

"Anyone who has an egg to watch over has a stake in the future, and the future--they were sure of it--was going to be good."

So instead of a rant, here is a look at all the good things of 2011 at my house--and yes, if you haven't seen me elsewhere, there are a few shots of me here. 

The music is by Mairi Campbell. Amusingly, this was used in the first "Sex and the City" movie, and while I find those characters frequently irritating, this sequence was beautiful and I love how it worked out here.

We're going to cook lumpia (Filipino egg rolls) and pancit canton (noodles with pork, shrimp and vegetables) for our traditional New Year's Eve dinner. In fact, I've already made the lumpia filling and am waiting for the Man to start chopping pork for the noodles!

Later we are going to curl up on the big sofa, all 4 of us and perhaps the cats, and watch the ball drop in Times Square--where we just happened to have been last Saturday. And drink sparkling cider (with brandy added to the Man's glass) and eat my mother's yummy if healthy brownies, made a bit more yummy and unhealthy by whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

And we'll watch this.





Happy New Year to all. Here's hoping for that good future in 2012.

No comments: