Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day To Day Through A Crisis

"Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out."--Anton Chekov

Saw this on a friend's Facebook page and tonight answered:
"And the combination of a crisis and day to day living is truly exhausting."

Thursday was a day of going to work to tell everyone what had happened that morning, doing what I had to that day and going home. Waiting for SC to get out of school so I could get her and break the news to her. Making sure that dinner was ready when the Man finally got home from dealing with his own job, dealing with the funeral home.

Friday was time at work instead of ballet class because I needed to go in and do some stuff and had too many things to do in the afternoon. Grocery shopping, because we had to keep eating.  Finding photos to send to my niece for the CD she was making for the funeral.  

Saturday was back at work because I won't be back till Tuesday and will pretty much have to go straight into programs.Then in the afternoon it was running around with JR because she needed something to wear for the funeral. We don't have a lot of dress up things--we don't attend any sort of church or go to dress up places. And with no family Christmas at Nanay and Tatay's house, no need to dress up for Christmas. SC and I figured out things we could wear, but JR didn't have anything dressy aside from hand me down dresses from SC, and she doesn't want to wear dresses! It ended with my spending $60 on a pretty tunic from the women's petite department that looks lovely on her. Then I dropped her at home so I could wear myself out further searching stores for leggings (thank heavens for Target) and doing more grocery shopping.



This morning I made my sister-in-law's favorite cookies to take out to her. The Man got his funeral clothes and other things together, including a bunch of inflatable mattresses. My sister-in-law has a good sized house, but with my 3 brother-in-laws, our cousin and our niece all coming in to stay, she needed the space. And that doesn't even include our other niece, HER older daughter, who was coming home to stay--and doubtless break her parents hearts again. But that's another story.

This afternoon we all went out to the house, then everyone who was there went to dinner. Fifteen of us and my sister-in-law's dearest friend went out and laughed and ate and hung out.

And now we are home--the girls and I. The Man stayed out with the family and I hope that even though it's a sad reason for them to all be together, that it's a bit of a good time. I honestly believe we may not all be together again like this for a long,long time. Perhaps never.

Here at home it's assembling clothes and showers and writing cards to put in Tatay's casket tomorrow--he is to be cremated.  It's going to be a long day, and some of it will be sad, and some of it will be joyful. I know that well from Nanay's funeral.

And then it's back to the simple, day to day, ordinary crises again.

3 comments:

De said...

The one positive thing about a crisis is that we all really STOP and engage in that moment. It is life-affirming. My parents are at a funeral in western PA this weekend and I hate not being there. It has been forever since that generation got together. I'm thinking of driving over this summer sometime.

Hang in there and sleep when you can.

Saints and Spinners said...

I am thinking of all of you. xo F.

The Library Lady said...

The other positive thing is to see how wonderful our friends and relations can be in supporting us through this sort of time. Thank you, both of you! <3