Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paula Deen Is Appalling

When "Galloping Gourmet" Graham Kerr's wife Treena had a stroke, he learned to cook low fat, low cholesterol food for her. His motto became "Min-Max"--minimum fat for maximum flavor.

He wrote cookbooks. He did all new television shows, sharing what he'd learned with the masses.
He's still doing so. He will be 78 on Sunday (happy birthday, Graham!).
And Treena too will turn 78 this year.






Which brings me to Paula Deen. I've disliked her for years. Her food is laden with everything people shouldn't eat to excess, she's sneered at healthy cooking, and her entire schtick is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill.

Today she disclosed that she was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. THREE YEARS AGO.

Did Paula Deen say to herself, "Hey, I could learn how to make things I love to eat in a more healthy way. I could learn how to cook things that might PREVENT some of those millions of people who watch my shows and come to my appearances and buy my cookbooks from developing diabetes. I could have a whole new series, all about healthy cooking. I'd make money and people would BENEFIT!"

Nope. She said to herself, "How can I keep doing this schtick AND make even more money?"

She kept on doing her shows with hamburgers on Krispy Kreame donuts, mayonnaise, butter and fats galore. Fried macaroni and cheese.  Same old, same old.

Meanwhile, she found herself a sweet little deal with NovoNortis to hawk their $500 a month diabetes drug. Only when she had that contract nailed down did she announce her condition.

And she'll go on with her show, doubtlessly with commercials for the medication running in between segments.

Paula Deen is a poor excuse for a human being.

1 comment:

De said...

Yes. Her behavior is contemptuous. She owes her fans a sincere apology.