Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Neighbor.

Kids make up hate songs about The Purple Dinosaur That I Will Not Name. But have you ever heard a kid making up a hate song about Mr Rogers?

If you're as old as I am, you may remember Eddie Murphy on SNL doing his "Mr Robinson's Neighborhood" sketch. It was a parody of Mr Rogers. But it was a parody where the love was clear.

As an adult I've always thought of Fred Rogers as that doofy relative or adult friend who makes you squirm with his goodness, but you still love him because he is SINCERELY good.

It's not phoney. There's no evil behind the curtain. It is what he truly is.

And it is that sincerity that made children--including me, a child of the Sixties, love Mr Rogers.

We are living in hate filled times. The vitriol being spouted by the Tea Party, by Republican monsters like Rick Santorum, make me fear for my future and even more for that of my children. But Mr Rogers had faith in mankind:
 
When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed.

We need more people like Fred Rogers in this world.
He'd say, they're here already...................

3 comments:

WifeMomTeacher said...

I miss Mr. Rogers

Saints and Spinners said...

I used to get upset when Mr. Rogers started singing "Tomorrow" or "It's a Good Feeling." It meant he was getting ready to go, and I didn't want him to go.

I still don't want him to go, truth be told.

The Library Lady said...

One of the few celebrities I have ever cried over.