Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oh, Joy, The "Hunger Games" Movie

Look, I will gladly admit that "The Hunger Games" is a billion times better than the Sparkly Vampire Series That Isn't Fit To Paper My Cats' Litter Box.  Not that that's a hard task!

It does have an active rather than passive heroine, next to zero talk about the good looks of the love interests and no elaborate double adjectives. It has enough action, funnily enough, to attract some of the boys.

But it's grim and depressing. I am really tired of books that keep postulating that my umpety-ump grandchildren (I keep telling my daughters I WANT to be a grandma, but there is no rush whatsoever. Really.) are going to live in some sort of savage new world where society as we know it will have disappeared. A lack of reality TV and the Tea Party WOULD be nice, but this is all going a little too far!


Here's the feelings of myself, my 17 yr old and my almost 13 yr old on this movie. And by the way, my younger girl is tired of people trying to tell her the plot of this book:


3 comments:

WifeMomTeacher said...

I have tried...really tried...to read the Hunger Games. I have read the first two chapters twice. You know I will read almost anything. I cannot get passed the first two chapters. I agree with you, dystopia is not where it is at.

Saints and Spinners said...

Even if you had loved the books, I would have had to warn you about the shaky-cam in the movie. I ended up having to look at the tops of people's heads instead of the screen in order to deal with the queasiness. I suspect that was not the director's intention.

The Library Lady said...

I hate going to movie theaters and assiduously avoid the ones with "Stadium" style seating, which tend to produce the same effect in me. And don't get me started on the booming sound systems....