Thursday, October 18, 2012

Proud of Our President

I grew up in the 60s-70s when flag waving was confined primarily to the John Birch society sort of white bread people.
I didn't say the Pledge of Allegiance in school--and when I went to a concert at JR's school in the spring, I sat through it then. That "under God" bit offends me--whose God?--and the "liberty and justice for all" is still a lovely dream.

I hated the flag waving, flag wearing crap after September 11, 2001. To me, that sort of jingoistic crap smacks of folks like the Nazis, and why was painting the flag on your face--considered disrespectful hippie stuff in my childhood--suddenly "patriotism"?

But in January 2009, I hung an American flag in our yard to celebrate the inauguration of President Barack Obama. I have hung it every 4th of July since then.

And Tuesday night, I saw the man I voted for. The one who kept his dignity and his cool while Mitt Romney got up in his face, sneered at him, condescended to him.

The one who coolly watched Romney lie about something and then hit him between the eyes with the documented truth in front of 35 million viewers.

The one who has tried and not always succeeded, but has kept his principles. Who treats everyone with respect, even his nastiest opponents.

Wednesday morning I put an Obama bumper sticker on my car. I have had a magnet on the side of my car, but never put a bumper sticker on this, or any other car I have owned.

And tomorrow I have the opportunity to go to an Obama rally. I've had the chance before, but this time I am going.

Because I want to add my voice to those who will be there to tell Barack Obama that I am proud that he is my president and that I will be proud to vote for him again in November.

No comments: