Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012

It's been a hellish year, ending with a less than lovely Christmas that included my having stomach trouble so bad I needed to see Urgent Care (stress), Bella the cat's developing giardia (a parasite, and no matter what Molly's tests said, she's got to be the carrier) and not eating at all just as we had to leave her for Christmas (my sitter offered wonderful support though) and my mom's swollen thumb turning out to be an infection that has had her hospitalized downstairs from Hillary Clinton all weekend.

Mom's going home this afternoon. After another vet trip and an appetite stimulant, Bella is back to howling for food at 6 AM. And I've got a stronger dose of Xanax to take if I need it--though I haven't needed it too much this week.

2012 has been a ride from hell. We lost so much.Tatay. Daddy. Bart the Cat.

We've struggled with my mom's illness and her recovery from a broken leg. We've had to reconstruct our kitchen after flooding. My girls have both suffered heartbreak and have needed counseling. The Man continues to ride the edge of depression, once or twice scarily so. I've dealt with perimenopause, health scares and more stress induced ailments than I've had in years.

We've had good moments. Family outings. A wonderful visit with the friends who are our family in upstate New York.One of the best Chincoteague vacations we've had in years. The arrival in our house of Molly the kitten, who makes us all laugh and healed a little of the pain of Barty's loss.

But I think of him, and of Tay and of my father. Especially my father.

I miss you so much, Daddy. I miss Mom the way she was when you were here. And in leaving 2012, I feel as if I am leaving you behind more than ever.

Goodbye 2012. I won't miss you.

 And in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny:

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven. Because it hasn't."



No comments: