Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, Daddy

Dear Daddy,

When I was a little girl, and we got the Daily News on Sundays, I always used to notice the bits in the classified where people wished their loved ones a "Happy Birthday In Heaven".

I don't know if there's an afterlife, but if there is, I hope that someone is there to make you a chocolate birthday cake and that there's full fat ice cream on the side and that you get to eat as much of it as you want.

I hope there's candles for you to blow out, someone who loves you to sing "Happy Birthday", and a chance for you to clown around and say "Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking...."

I love you, Daddy. I miss you.
Happy birthday!

Love,
L


2 comments:

WifeMomTeacher said...

If my parents have made your father's acquaintance, I promise Mama made him the cake and sang...

De said...

Mmm, cake.

You are blessed with the ability to live with all five of your senses engaged, giving you a rich wheel of life from which to pull moments to be savored again and again.