Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Buy Your Own Flowers

I lived in college with a girl who used to sigh to her boyfriend, "No one EVER buys me flowers."  And he'd promptly buy her a bouquet.

They got married. They also got divorced.

In fact, every woman I've worked with in the last decade who got bouquets from her husband on the appropriate occasions has done the same.

I'm not saying that a man who buys you flowers is bound to signal that a marriage is doomed. I'm sure there are lots of lovely men out there who buy their wives flowers AND manage to be good and caring spouses.

But I know for sure that my dad (as far as I can remember) never bought my mom flowers, and that they were married for 50 years.

The Man and I have lived together for 25 years. Been married nearly 20. And he doesn't bring me flowers either.

But he does the dishes every night. Stops and gets my medications from the doctor's office. Sets his hand to any project at my office I need done. Took care of our girls when they were little and I had to go to work. Didn't think of it as "babysitting" when I needed to go to a consignment sale, or my garden.

Right now there is a lovely bouquet in my office window. I bought it myself, for myself, because it gladdens my soul to have flowers where I can see them.

But it gladdens me even more to know that the Man is there for me when I need him, and that his love shows in what he does every day of our lives together.

You can't buy that in a store.

1 comment:

WifeMomTeacher said...

My Knight doesn't bring me flowers. He does dishes and does laundry. He loves his children...and makes 3 young ladies, whose paternal DNA donor ignores, feel like they matter.
Like you, I found a keeper.