Saturday, May 24, 2014

Memorial Day

I got through Mother's Day.
Actually, it was a pretty nice one, in that SC bought me flowers. Of course, it would have been better if she'd bought tightly closed ones and watered them well, since the tulips she got me were already losing their petals when she gave them to me, but it's the thought that counts. And I love her for thinking of me. She's lovely that way.  I got a card from everyone too. Family cards are never just plain greeting cards, we all draw in them or put funny family jokes.

But all the Mother's Day stuff out there hurt. And it didn't help that Mommy's birthday was last Saturday, and the Man and SC were in NYC. I wanted them to go--the Man got to spend time with his brothers, and we won't have the apartment much longer. But I can't remember the last time I had a day like that. A day to spend in Manhattan.  Come to think of it, can't remember the last time I had a real day off. Even the "off" days are spent in errands, cooking and gardening. I just CAN'T do nothing--I feel guilty when I do.

Meanwhile the Man will happy spend a weekend sitting on his ass, eating too much and sitting at his computer, surrounded by thousands of books that he will never use. He is supposed to be doing work on them this weekend--getting more out of the house. We will see. I keep looking at houses, longing to move, but I am picky and we can't afford much, and the housing market here is tight, so I fully expect to continue to live surrounded by his stuff for years to come--and then there is the stuff from my parents' house as well.Which will doubtlessly end up in more storage.

And now it's Memorial Day weekend and I am working today, and bound to be doing 10 million things for the rest of the weekend, few of which will involve flopping down in the swing on our patio with a good book. Besides, if I try to, our horrible new neighbor with the loud voice, the loud friends and the pretty-pretty Martha Stewart patio will doubtlessly pick that time for a wine fest.

June is coming. More work on the apartment. The anniversary of losing Daddy, followed promptly by Father's Day.  And a trip to Cape Cod at the end of the month that we need to take, to say goodbye to Mom and Dad together.

I am so, so tired................

No comments: