Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Library Lady Mom



Actually, it does.
I was a good children's librarian when I first started doing this, because I was in my early 20s, and in truth I've never outgrown my childishness.

But I became a much, much better children's librarian because I have the perspective of a parent.

I know what it's like to have a baby who won't sleep through the night. I know what it's like to go through toilet training. I know that the "terrible 2s" are more likely around 18 months, and that they are nothing compared to dealing with a 14 year old!

I know what it's like to have an early walker--and a late one. To have a kid whose first word was "book" and another who didn't really become passionate about the printed word till much, much later.

So I can look at a mom/dad/caregiver and say "I know about this because when SC was 18 months/when JR was little," and they know that I GET IT.

I can give them a suggestion, say "we all go through this," let them know that what is going on is okay.

It's a huge advantage in this business. And it's why dealing with the other "youth service managers", all childless, frequently frustrates me.

It also has a disadvantage. Knowing what I know about child rearing, watching bad nanny/parent behavior angers me. I have very little tolerance for the sort of crap I see on a daily basis!

No comments: