Friday, September 25, 2015

Homesick

They keep playing Alicia Keyes "Empire State of Mind" at moments when I least expect it--like on an NPR piece about music for the Pope yesterday.

It's now been a full year since the Man and I drove away from the city with the last load of things from Mom and Dad's house.

The Man--and SC--have been back to the city since. I haven't.

Mom and Dad's chair and other precious items sit in storage. Unless I manage to find us a house--and between interest rates about to rise and the sadly limited number of houses in our price range AND in places where JR can stay at her school for another two year AND get home easily--it seems they may sit there for some years to come.

I am so, so homesick. Homesick for my parents. Homesick for my city.

I can't have Mom and Dad back. Someone else must be living in their apartment by now. I hope it's a family, and that they love the house like we did.

But I want to go home and walk down 5th Avenue. Eat pizza by the slice from a takeout window. Ride the Staten Island Ferry and gaze at the skyline.  Get packed into a subway at rush hour, and see the passengers swaying back and forth, and know that it's all still there.

I have now lived here in Virginia for about half of my life.

But I am so, so, homesick for the Hudson River, and the Botanical Gardens and for the sights and sounds and smells of my childhood

I want to go home.

No comments: