Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My Boss and His Bosses

Dear Boss,

Thank you for the good parts of my evaluation. Thank you for making it clear that YOU get what I do, that YOU appreciate what I do, and that you support me. You're a good boss and getting even better, and I am glad to know you have my back.

I sincerely apologize to you for any grief you've suffered in dealing with the top office about me--and thank you for backing me.  As for them, considering that they have both known me for many years, and I've assumed that they appreciate me, I am really disappointed in both of them.

What they see as negativity in me is questioning authority, not blindly following the party line. It's one of the reasons my great-grands left Russian (poverty and being Jews being other reasons), and I thought I could express this at my job.

When I question what they plan, I want to see if I can make it work. I want to make it better. I am a force for positive things. I am a source for creativity. How can you have that if you don't question things?

And apparently I need to wear a bourka and sunglasses to meetings because people are watching my body language and interpreting it their way.  But I'm from the Bronx. This is who I am and how I do things.

As long as they don't censure me, I'll just keep on keeping on. I'll try to behave myself so YOU don't have issues, because I didn't want that to happen.

But I galls me that a year's hard work, outstanding programs, excellent customer  service, and constantly being the POSITIVE one here, despite short staffing, less time and a goddamn renovation has all gone down the tubes because I didn't want my picture and much info about me put on a goddamn library app.

There's a reason I blog here without my name or my picture. There's a reason I have Facebook locked well down.

All I wanted to do was protect my privacy a little bit. The powers that be don't seem to get why that matters.

If that makes me "uncooperative" and other things, so be it.

Thanks for getting this.

Sincerely,
The Library Lady

No comments: