Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thanksgiving=Love. Period.

 I just read a NY Times article about Thanksgiving, full of stuff about people who are on gluten free diets (even though they don't have celiac), self righteous posturings about meat eating and more.
And this is what I wrote in the comments:


Thanksgiving is not about the food. It is about the love and sharing.
Two years ago this month my mom was in the hospital, just out of the ICU and starting to eat solid foods again. I brought her a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner, with everything soft and easy to eat, and fed it to her spoon by spoon.She ate everything I gave her and said how good it was.

I went home in a taxi and cried for the sheer happiness of having been able to do that for her, and because I would have given anything to have her and my dad back at the house.

Mom left us several months later. Last year was the first Thanksgiving dinner I'd cooked at home in at least 15 years.  I did everything my way, we ate far earlier than we would have at Mom's,and we had a good time together. But oh, for one more dinner with my parents!

Please think about that before you start whining about your dietary needs, your personal beliefs about meat, or any of the rest of it.

If you're lucky enough to have the people you love there at the table, nothing else matters.

No comments: